Last January was a test for poly tunnels, especially with the weight of the snow lying heavily on top of them. So this time the old boys and I have made some precautions in case the weather makes a turn for the worst. So if you are worried about the winter weather and what it could potentially do to your crops, here is a few top tips to survive the winter weather:
- Remove snow continuously and carefully with a garden spade to prevent any structural damage to the polytunnel .
- Wrap any sharp edges with rags to cushion them. When the snow covers these sharp edges this could become a potential hazard.
- Add crop bars to the polytunnel to permanently strengthen the structure.
- When serve frosts come cover your crops with a winter fleece tunnel or a double layer of light weight fleece for extra protection.
- Don’t try and force open frozen greenhouse and polytunnel doors as this may result in damage.
With these top tips your crops should be free from harm when the January frosts or snow come along, if it does.